Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Dreaded Diaper Change.

Mamush has been doing great. Bonding seems to be going really well, we just have one constant issue....diaper changing. When we lay him down for a quick change, 9 times out of 10 he is not happy about it. He will kick, push, roll, cry and scream if he has to. It is a huge challenge that usually makes me feel like the worst mother of all time. We have been trying to distract him, make it fun by tickling, kissing, dancing, etc. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I am sure this is attachment related and today I hope to get some answers from our Social Worker but in the mean time I just had to talk about it. Its not only frustrating and when you seem to be doing it 6 times or more a day, its consuming!

Maybe its another reason to really push potty training as soon as possible? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried NOT making eye contact with him while you do it? Maybe look away - sometimes the eye contact is just too much for them. It will get better with time.

foreverisamoment said...

Tirfe is the same way!! I do silly things that aren't too physical, like I pull her socks off and set them on her forehead or lay her pants on her eyes and say peek when she looks. Then I usually give her a wipe to play with, which for now is working cuz she's not trying to wipe her own bottom yet... The struggle goes with the territory, you are doing a great job, don't feel disheartened. I also think that our little ones didn't have much say over things like getting dressed and changed while they were in care in Ethiopia, it was sort of a 'get it done mentality' at the care center (even with tons of love, when you have 12 babes to care for between two nannies, and they have 3 layers on each, and all potty at different times, it really has to be!), so it makes sense that changing clothes and diaps is challenge for some kids- definately one we have seen with T since we met her!!