Mamush,
Two months ago today we met you. It was a wet and cool day in Ethiopia and the hustle and bustle of the city was everywhere. We took a quick trip into the corporate office for an orientation meeting and by late morning were couriered over to the care center. At the care center, staff lead us down stairs and had us wait there as we were brought up, one family each to meet our children. I can't remember what number we were, but I know we weren't first or second. Chad and I sat on the step of the elevated play area and waited for what felt like a life time. Once our name was called, we walked up to the 5th floor where your room was. I remember my heart beating out of my chest and you will have to ask your dad but I am sure my palms were the sweatiest they had been since our wedding day. They opened the door to your 12x12 room and I remember thinking, "Where is he? Where is he?" It felt like there was a million people in that room. At least three nannies, our social worker and two guys video taping along with 10 babies in cribs and/or on the floor, most making noise. Lots of noise. You were placed on the floor right at our feet and staring up at us with those big brown eyes. So little I almost missed you. You were sitting on your knees like you always do. You were so tiny. So tiny. Not in a bad way, just much smaller that I had anticipated. Your hair was longer than in your photographs and your eyes were even more stunning. You were not shy, you had no problem with us holding you. Dad and I knew we had to share you so we took turns kissing and squeezing you, though I think both of us would of gladly snatched you up and held on tight for the entire day if we could of. We played downstairs in the area that they had us waiting in to begin with. You were all about pulling yourself up and bouncing. Around 11:30 AM they called us up for lunch. We fed you cereal in your room around the nannies and other babies. You ate about six bites and fell asleep in your dad's arms. I was jealous, but he looked so happy and content sitting with you that it made it a little easier. It was hard to leave you that way, as we wouldn't leave for almost another hour, but you were sleeping and once they placed you in your crib we were asked to head back down stairs. I remember being sad that I couldn't give you one more big kiss before leaving for the day.
Finally meeting you is by far one of the best days of our lives. You are divine. Absolutely sweet and totally and completely ours. A perfect match made by the heavens. Oh, and so very much worth the wait.
3 comments:
Brings back so many memories of our trip. I remember those beautiful eyes you described...so glad you are celebrating your first Christmas together.
A wonderful day to remember! Thinking of you three!
Beautifully written words, Kate, that Mamush will certainly cherish one day! And what a cherished Christmas together! Yeah!
Post a Comment