Not fun. Its a battle we fight everyday. Mamush hitting. Typically happens when he doesn't get exactly what he wants from us or at daycare. He knows he isn't suppose to do it. We started by telling him no and simply saying that he needs to be gentle, which usually followed with him giving a hug and kiss. These days its telling him no, followed by a quick "time out." The "time out" is a 10 second break, parked on a step. He knows right away, that he has done wrong, but I guess in the moment its hard to not act out. Its particularly hard to try to get a 16 month old to understand right from wrong and its really impossible to know when he might know the difference. I don't know if being firm works or if just letting this run its course is the right action to take. What I do know is that its hard to parent, not knowing what you are doing, and constantly wonder if your actions are the right ones.
Toddlers are tough.
Friday, February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Amen, sister! Piper told me "NO" 125+ times yesterday (I counted!), and "Huts" (hurts) to anything that she didn't want to do... change her diaper, put her coat on, eat broccoli, etc. Crazy in the head. Toddlers are tough. Good thing we are so tough, huh :)
So glad to hear you do timeouts. We have a little step in our house too...mostly for the loud obnoxious growl he makes when he doesn't get his way. I highly recommend the book Toddler 411. It reminds me that I'm only a slightly crazed mom of a toddler. :)
We have troubles with Kenzie sometimes too. She knows it's wrong, and we give her time-outs too. I'm not sure if there's any truth to it or not, but someone once told me they hit because they don't know how to show their feelings/frustration. Either way, it's hard. If you find any magic steps that work, let me know! :)
~Adam and Steph
Kate--My little ones get time outs and sometimes they put themselves in time out (crazy huh). I then make them say sorry and give hugs. My older one has been the one hitting my younger one lately. I think it goes along the line of the pecking order thing. Parenting is hard work! It puts things into perspective when I think of my parents and when I work with students. I love your honesty in your blogs! Take Care...You're a great MOM! Laura
Post a Comment