I know I haven't done a great job about blogging our experience in Ethiopia or our first few weeks home. Sometimes raw emotions don't make me a great writer or photographer. I sometimes feel that the experience can't compare to memories or pictures because it was so powerful.
Recently I was stuck in Indy at the airport due to weather. As I walked out of the airport, through a large waiting area headed to a hotel for the night, I had a flashback that took my breath away. A large group of adults and kids were gathered around a couple. Seated with them was a little boy from Haiti. I can't help but assume that this was somehow adoption related and it reminded me of our homecoming. I remember wanting to race out of customs to get through those glass doors at the airport. Mamush was in the moby wrap and had just woken up. He was in blue cotton jammies and weighed 16 pounds at almost 12 months. Our families were on the left side of the doors. The first thing I remember is my mom jumping up and down. Then I remember our moms, Jess and Tiff running right up to me and both moms crying. I remember our dads taking photos and video taping. I remember my brother-in-law had to show us how to strap Mamush into the car seat and fighting traffic to get home on a dreary night. It was so good to be home and smell the fresh clean Minnesotan air. Most of all it was good to have Mamush home, crawling on the floor and using the nursery that had been ready for over a year. February 16, 2010 will mark 5 months home! What a ride.
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment