Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Loving Henry

written by Kate

Some may think its a little early, but we have the crib! After way too many hours of research, going back and forth on what we should get, how much we should spend, and if we should get a matching dresser or not, we settled on one from JcPenny (imagine that.) I know we have a really long wait yet, like, longer than long, but I kind of wanted to just get this part done. We decided to get one in a white finish so we could purchase the dresser at Ikea. Not typically my favorite place to purchase furniture, but when a budget screams, my answer is Ikea. Hopefully in the next month or so we can get the nursery underway.

Just as we get ready for one baby, we are loosing another. We recently found out that our sweet Henry has cancer. A few weeks ago we realized that he was eating slower than usual and I thought I would take a look in his mouth, only to find what I thought would be a quarter-sized tumor. A quick after-hours trip to the vet office (good to have friends in high places) we realized that it was a little larger than a quarter, more like a ping pong ball. A few days later, after a few tests and a tough phone call from my dear friend Carla (the friend in the high place) we recieved the news.

For those of you that don't know Henry, he is my problem child. I picked him up from a dump of a house in Lakeville, Minnesota. He was seven years old, filthy, and I was his fourth home in one month. Seven years later, he's my drooling little buddy, always on my heels, and we are going to loose him to cancer. We are going to take it day by day and see how things go. In the mean time we are trying to fit in as much time with him as we can get, kissing him between the eyes, belly rubs and extra long ear scratches. There is just never enough time is there?

So, for those of you who know how much a dog can mean to a person, how much Henry means to me, you know that man's best friend can be a dog. And to Carla, who has had to endure telling a friend that she is going to loose one of her furry babies, seeing many tears weep down my face and hearing me try to catch my breath while sobbing, I would never want to hear this news from any one else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never enjoy breaking bad news to owners, but it really sucks to have to give bad news to good friends. I hope and pray that you enjoy each and every day with Henry. Please know that my thoughts prayers are with you and you know that I am here when you need me. It has been a tough couple of weeks for me personally and really enforced in me the need to let people know that you are there for them and thinking about them.